Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I "gottahave" . . . fragrant memories . . . for Chase's first birthday!

Did you know that the sense of smell is one of our most powerful senses? A sniff of a familiar fragrance can reel you back in time to remember a long-forgotten memory. It is with that thought in mind that I bring you the first in a series . . . Fragrant Memories . . . and invite you to share your own comments on how a fragrance reminds you of a memory.

How fun it was to celebrate our little boy's first birthday! As I was baking the cupcakes, I smelled the batter & realized that I knew that smell . . . it was the same as the Birthday Cake candle! I had one on the shelf, pulled it out & smelled & sure enough, it was an exact match. From now on, I will always burn a Birthday Cake candle with good memories in mind of Chase's first birthday.



And a recipe for you, too!

My sister & I used to decorate wedding cakes, but my favorite part was making the gourmet cakes that everyone raved about the taste. I used one of our secrets in making Chase's special first birthday cupcakes.

Birthday Cake Cupcakes
Make up a classic yellow Duncan Hines cake mix according to the directions on the box but add the secret ingredients (1 small box of instant vanilla pudding & an extra egg). Add in a cup of mini chocolate chips, if desired, & bake, either as a cake or cupcakes. If baking as a cake, you will probably need to cook it a little bit longer than what it says on the box since the pudding & extra egg give you more batter. Top with your favorite frosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment