Friday, April 3, 2009

My Story

It was 10 years ago when I received an invitation that would change my life. I was invited to a candle party for a company that I had never heard of -- Gold Canyon. I wasn't the home party type, but my sweet husband, Jeff, told me to go - he wanted me to overcome some of my shyness and get to know some women in the new neighborhood we had moved into. At the party that night, I didn't really get to know the women in the neighborhood, but I fell in love with Gold Canyon candles. Though I heard nothing about the opportunity of being a demonstrator AT the party, I contacted the demonstrator the next day to ask about it & after talking with my very supportive husband, I immediately signed up as a demonstrator. We thought it would be the perfect stay at home job for me when we started the family that we were hoping for right away.

For the next 4 years, I dabbled with my candle business - selling to family & myself & only holding one formal candle party with a host other than myself. But when we moved to Maryland, I had a decision to make. With Jeff's help, we decided that it was time to turn my candle "hobby" into a real business, even though we were moving across the country & wouldn't know a single person.

It started slow, but with dedication it has turned into a successful business for me. And this business has made a huge difference in my life. A couple of years ago, while living in our high priced apartment in an area of Maryland that is extremely expensive to live in, we decided to live on Jeff's salary & save all the override commission checks that I received from Gold Canyon. The money that was saved has allowed us to afford a down payment on the home that we purchased last year and has paid for thousands of dollars of fertility testing & treatments over the last couple of years. A little over a year ago, our first child was born (a result of Invitro/IVF) and now, I will finally get that chance to use my Gold Canyon business as I had originally intended, so that I can still work, but also get to be a stay at home mom. I love being at home with my sweet little boy while my husband works, but I also love that my business gives me something else to do and gives me some adult interaction and a way to get out of the house from time to time – something that every mom needs!

In addition to the monetary benefits, my life has been enriched & enhanced in so many ways since I decided to really work my business. The friends I have made through party hosts, customers & especially my team members & other demonstrators that I've had a chance to meet, have given me a wonderful support system & feeling of belonging, even living across the country from my entire family. And I have developed leadership & creativity skills that I never thought I had, in addition to overcoming my shyness. My husband and I talk all the time about how much I have grown with the opportunities that I have been given by Gold Canyon.

When it came time to choose a team name, I chose A Brighter Tomorrow for my team. Gold Canyon has given me so much & truly created a brighter future for me and I have seen it do the same thing for other demonstrators & even hosts & customers that I've worked with. As a team, we also work to support the Prayer Child Foundation that Gold Canyon established to help children in need.

To me, A Brighter Tomorrow is what Gold Canyon is all about. What a unique opportunity we have to provide ourselves & our families with A Brighter Tomorrow, but also to reach out to our customers, demonstrators & other people in our communities & help them on their way to A Brighter Tomorrow
.
My main reason for doing what I do!

1 comment:

  1. Great story Kim! I loved that. That picture of your little man is so dang cute. Congrats on 10 great years!!!

    ReplyDelete